Thursday, December 17, 2009

Oreo Truffles



I got this recipe from my girl Colleen. She used to make these delectable chocolate-y truffles for us at PSU, so I thought I'd take on the challenge myself. But of course, I gave it my own little twist! You can't tell from the picture but under the chocolate shell, and inside the truffle are either peanut butter or caramel fillings.  The peanut butter ones are soooo good!



Oreo Truffles

Ingredients: 
- 1 bag of Oreo cookies
- 1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (white, or semi-sweet.. your choice!)
- 1 cookie sheet and wax paper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shortening

Procedure:
1.   Crush up entire pack of oreos (food processor would work best, if not a blender works, or even putting them in a ziploc and pounding).  The finer you crush the oreos, the better.
2.  In a bowl, add room temperature cream cheese to crushed oreos.  Combine completely until mixed evenly throughout.
3.  Spoon 1 inch balls of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. This is where I added in the peanut butter and caramel. Just dab inside the middle of the cookie dough and roll up!
4.  Put into refrigerator for an hour (or until completely firm)
5.  Once firm, melt half the bag of morsels with a dab of vegetable shortening (to thin) in the microwave (follow melting directions on packaging) *I do half a bag at a time just to keep the chocolate soft
6.  Dip balls into melted chocolate
7.  Drizzle remaining chocolate over top of the truffles

*These truffles usually need to be refrigerated at all times to avoid melting of the outer chocolate.

Thanks Coll! 

5 comments:

U+Me=Us said...

I hope you plan on making some of these when you come home this weekend! I've been busting my butt baking all of our standard holiday cookies, you need to shake up our stash with these puppies!

PS(The photos from in this and your last post are superb! Natural light is your friend!)

Nene said...

Just tasted these for the first time tonight...LOVE!

NutMegan821 said...

Oh my gosh, I just found these in a recipe magazine and made them last week! They are kick-ass! :)

Pam said...

haha thats awesome.. Merry Christmas Megan.. missed you at the brunch!

NutMegan821 said...

Thanks! Hope you had good holidays! My parents had a good time, I wish I could have come, but I had work all weekend and was snowed in at my friends house. We should get together some time though!