I got this recipe from my girl Colleen. She used to make these delectable chocolate-y truffles for us at PSU, so I thought I'd take on the challenge myself. But of course, I gave it my own little twist! You can't tell from the picture but under the chocolate shell, and inside the truffle are either peanut butter or caramel fillings. The peanut butter ones are soooo good!
- 1 bag of Oreo cookies
- 1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (white, or semi-sweet.. your choice!)
- 1 cookie sheet and wax paper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
1. Crush up entire pack of oreos (food processor would work best, if not a blender works, or even putting them in a ziploc and pounding). The finer you crush the oreos, the better.
2. In a bowl, add room temperature cream cheese to crushed oreos. Combine completely until mixed evenly throughout.
3. Spoon 1 inch balls of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. This is where I added in the peanut butter and caramel. Just dab inside the middle of the cookie dough and roll up!
4. Put into refrigerator for an hour (or until completely firm)
5. Once firm, melt half the bag of morsels with a dab of vegetable shortening (to thin) in the microwave (follow melting directions on packaging) *I do half a bag
at a time just to keep the chocolate soft
6. Dip balls into melted chocolate
7. Drizzle remaining chocolate over top of the truffles
*These truffles usually need to be refrigerated at all times to avoid melting of the outer chocolate.